Monday, February 14, 2005

OMG>> that NS man must sure be loaded....

just did my daily dose of Singapore news & the following article got me gaping away....
http://straitstimes.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,300659,00.html
where got people spend so much one!!??
not say he getting married ah....
but seriously, i think that Ian guy must be spending parents moolah...
surely the government doesn't pay him That much yah?

oh what the heck, i'll just post it here so that ppl who dont subscribe to ST can read it too.

Young and restless
SPENDING A BOMB ON A BOMBSHELL

Young people are saying it with flowers, food and even iPods
By Goh Hui Min

DINNER at Equinox, followed by a night at Swissotel The Stamford -
Ian Teo, 21, and his girlfriend of one year celebrated Christmas in style last year.
With the exchange of an iPod and a Christmas tree, the bill for the night was more than $1,000.
'I wanted the day to be special,' said Ian, who is currently doing national service.

He is not alone investing so much in the dating game.

Toh Ghee Sin, a Nanyang Technological University undergraduate,
went to great lengths for his girlfriend's 21st birthday celebrations.

'My 21st birthday was spent in a Brunei jungle while I was in the army,' said Ghee Sin, 24.
'I want hers to be a memorable one.'
The computer science student organised a dinner for his girlfriend and her friends at the executive suite of Aranda Country Club for about $500.

Ghee Sin also bought her a chocolate fudge cake from Jane's Cake Station,
and made a special trip to SK Jewellery to get a $300 diamond pendant with a white gold chain he knew she liked.
That's as much as his average monthly allowance from his parents.

'I don't mind spending on her, because I want to pamper her,' said the affable, bespectacled guy. 'But I wouldn't want her to spend so much on me.'

These fellows don't splurge just on special occasions.

'I bought a $600 necklace from Lee Hwa Jewellery as a gift for my girlfriend,' said Ian.
'I just felt like buying it for her. Anyway, it's not really about the money.'

He also bought a pair of rings from Lee Hwa after he and his girlfriend got attached,
spending $600 because they wanted their rings to be 'special'.

Final-year NTU student Wong Boon Kiat, 25, said:
'If you're working, then spending a lot is fine because it's your own money, and you are doing so willingly.'

Yet, many of the couples who do so say the money comes out of their allowance.

'Most of the money I spend is saved from the allowance I get from my parents,' said Ghee Sin,
who spends the most part of his $300 allowance on his girlfriend and his pet arowana.

Some months, it's more on the girl, other months it's the fish that gets pampered.

'My parents kind of know about it, but the only time my mum complained was when I rented a car to drive my girlfriend to Jurong Hill Top Restaurant.
Then my mum nagged that I never did that on her birthday.'

While many couples swoon over expensive rocks, fine dining, nifty gadgets and well-planned celebrations, some are unmoved by these.

Two NTU accountancy students felt the money wasn't so important after all.

'Ultimately, it's the quality of the relationship that counts, and that it's not one centred on material comforts,' said Goh Zhengxin, 23.

Cho Rong Rong, 20, who has been with her boyfriend for two years, added:
'It's not really about the money. If your boyfriend hand-makes a card for you, isn't that so sweet?

No comments: