Monday, January 20, 2003

woke up at 1pm......dragged myself out of the flat and started on my journey towards fulham broadway. it's for my photography project...black & white photos to promote london in a fun and non-cliche way. so i thought of focusing on the many pubs in london that have queer names, as 'pubbing' is a very much daily activity for the british. spent last night surfing the net on names of pubs and came across loads...but let me just list you all some.

there's: Dirty Dick's; Bunch of grapes; the goose at castle; the Slug and lettuce; the Frog and the radiator; the Goat in boots; the Moon under water; the Green man and french horn; the Sugar loaf; the Peacock; the Porcupine; the Lamb and flag; the Mad bishop and lamb; Dog and duck...and loads more! i really do wonder why they have a 'thing' for naming pubs after animals....

anyway, hopped on the tube and got all the way to South Kensington, where i got stuck. there was no trains going to fulham broadway. not a single one. that's how reliable london's transport system is. so....i wondered out of the station and started to look for interesting stuff to take but nahhh...nothing nice. Spotted a bus which was heading to Fulham so i stuck to my initial plan and hopped on the bus.

went past the Chelsea Village along the way......and when i finally got to Fulham, i dugged out my nikon fm10 (finally using it!) and started snapping @ watever caught my eye, be it not a pub, i didnt care. along the way, i was constantly looking around me.....watching out for any potential muggers. remember this advice>>One can never feel too safe in london. cos it's simply not.

came upon this little quaint internet cafe with lovely paintings hanging on the windows and i stopped to snap them. the owner came out and invited me in to snap the other 2 paintings inside. it was a very cozy cafe, with sofas and loads of monitor shells ard...waiting to get painted i guess, and the owner was living above the shop. so its kinda home cum office. shiok leh.

thanked the owner n said i'll drop by sometime (though i dun need the internet service......), and by then it was 4pm. scurried to the nearest supermarket and did my grocery shopping, as most ( 95%) of the supermarkets here close @ 5pm on sundays. didnt buy much..just 13pounds (think S$13) worth but they were very heavy! think it must have been my milk and bottle of ribena.

hopped on the bus again, this time heading to my sister's place to meet her for dinner. along the way, i spotted a Cash Converters! the signboard is exactly the same as the ones back in Singapore, so now i know where the store originated. i MUST go in there someday..maybe can pick up something good. we had thai for dinner......and then went back up to the flat to watch tv. i aint got a tv in my hall room, but somehow i dun really miss it that much. 1: the progammes here suck. 2: i got the internet to keep me busy.

watched till 10pm...and dreaded so much of the thought of journeying back with so much crap. didnt have a choice...i needed to get back to do somemore work and i need to wear my retainers.....

was walking back up the slope when i spotted this guy approx 20m away, with his back facing me and standing in a corner of a building. i was like " Pleaassseee dun tell me he is peeing on the pavement!". but he was...and there i was trying to slow down my pace and look at the nice clear sky, just to avoid any embarrasment. He finished and went back into his car.....while i gingerly stepped away from the puddle of pee that was flowing down the pavement. Eeeeeuuukkkkss!!!! What's with the people in this country??? peeing on pavements! and trust me this is not an one-off incident> the last time, i saw a guy peeing in a corner just as i was about to tuck into my lovely chocolate cake @ starbucks.....really spoilt the mood man, but not my appetite. NOTHING comes between me and my food. Muahahahahahha....

so another advice for people planning to visit london: please learn to control your bladder. cos there aint as many toilets here as in singapore...they are really hard to come by. and if you're @ Harrods, you have to pay one pound to use the washroom! dun say i never warn you ah!


ok. thats about it.....i got home about 11.15pm and its 12.53am now. i better get my ass off the net and finish up my stuff n sleep!

nights!

No comments: